This dish will make a vegetable lover out of anyone. Whenever I serve it, everyone just raves about it and asks for the recipe. Sometimes I'll substitute broccoli for all or half of the cauliflower, and it tastes just as good!
Recommended: 20 Ways to Cook with Cauliflower
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 ounces cooked ham, chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat broiler. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add ham and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower, and cook just until crisp-tender. Combine cream and flour; stir into skillet, and blend well. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until lightly browned, about 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cauliflower Au Gratin in Country February/March 1993, p51
Reviews for Cauliflower Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2011
"I make this for special holidays. It's something my family looks forward to."
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2009
"This was awesome! I used bacon instead of ham because we were having ham with dinner but it was still SOOO good!!!"