Cauliflower and Ham Chowder Recipe
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower and celery in broth for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Do not drain. Stir in the soup, cream and pepper.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cauliflower mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add ham; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 163 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein .
Reviews for Cauliflower and Ham Chowder
"I really liked this recipe, I thought at first it was on the bland side, but I just went ahead and added another can of potato soup and added one tablespoon of butter. In doing so I did not have to add the cornstarch mixture. Great for a chilly winter night."
"I made this with leftover Easter ham. I had to double it for my large family, but I loved the flavor! So good we may have to triple it just so we can have leftovers!"
"Although this chowder was easy and tasted good I was a bit disappointed after reading such rave reviews IMO it's a little bland."
"I've made this recipe for years. I've had to increase the amounts so there is enough for my family because they all love it (my 5 year old daughter's favorite). I now add broccoli and use milk instead of cream/evap milk and it is still great."
"This recipe is absolutely terrific. I love cauliflower and ham together. Will keep this recipe handy for special occassions."
"Very easy. My family loved it. Reheated well too."
"Wow!! Wonderful! And way easy to make..I was looking for recipes to use leftover ham. My son and husband love this..thank you!"
"Excellent!!! My husband requested this dish two days in a row. I used corn instead of celery and it was AH-mazing!"
"Rainy and cool today. Fixed this for supper with a salad and crusty rolls. It was a big success. Used 2% evaporated milk and 2% sharp cheddar cheese along with low sodium chicken broth. This recipe is a keeper."