Cauliflower and Ham Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 6 saltines, crumbled
- 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Fold in cauliflower, ham, mushrooms and pimientos. Pour into a greased 2-qt. casserole.
- 3. In a small saucepan, brown cracker crumbs in remaining butter; sprinkle over casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared with margarine, fat-free milk and lean ham and without salt) equals 209 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 942 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable.