- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 6 saltines, crumbled
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Fold in cauliflower, ham, mushrooms and pimientos. Pour into a greased 2-qt. casserole.
- In a small saucepan, brown cracker crumbs in remaining butter; sprinkle over casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cauliflower and Ham Casserole
Sort By :
"I would leave out the salt all together as the ham, saltines and the chesse all have salt in them. The recipe says Diabetic Friendly but I Found that is was not Heart Friendly."
"Our house is big on flavor, so I substituted about 1/4 C diced green pepper in place of the pimientos (sauteed them with onions in first step.) We also used low-salt saltines, Penzey's Northwoods seasoning in place of the salt, and a few healthy shakes of Durkee's Peppery Mustard grill creations seasoning for the pepper. It was 'delish!"
"This was a very tasty and easy casserole to put together. I used 2 bags (16 oz each) of defrosted cauliflower. Microwaved about 4 minutes and drained before adding."
"I like it very much"