This witch's cauldron doesn't hold a spooky brew--just a Halloween snack that's frightfully fun! Our Test Kitchen formed a pot by toasting a slice of rye bread, then filled it with a creamy dip that's perfect with the pretzel "logs" and sweet pepper "flames" that are placed underneath.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 slice soft dark rye bread
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow and orange pepper, julienned
- 10 pretzel rods, broken in half
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, parsley, sugar, onion powder,
- garlic salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Flatten bread with a rolling pin. Press over an inverted greased
- 10-oz. custard cup. Top with another 10-oz. custard cup. Place on an
- ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. Carefully
- remove top dish. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until bread is lightly
- toasted. Immediately remove the bread from dish. Cool.
- Fill bread bowl with dip. Arrange peppers and pretzels under and
- around bowl. Yield: 1 cup.