Cauldron Bread Bowls Recipe
Quick-rise yeast cuts the preparation time of this make-ahead bread. Hollow out the large rye rolls and fill with Bewitching Chili or dip of your choice for chips or veggies.
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine 4 cups all-purpose flour, rye flour, yeast, salt and cocoa. Heat water, molasses and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into eight portions; shape each into a ball. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the top fourth off each roll; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill each bowl with about 1/2 cup chili. Serve bread tops on the side if desired. Yield: 8 bread bowls.
Originally published as Cauldron Bread Bowls in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p17
Reviews for Cauldron Bread Bowls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review