- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups pastel miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir a small amount into the egg, then return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Pour into a bowl; let cool for 15 minutes. Gently stir in marshmallows and nuts. Chill for 30 minutes.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, shape dough into a 1-1/2-in.-diameter log. Place coconut on another sheet of waxed paper. Gently roll log over coconut to coat sides. Wrap up tightly, twisting ends to seal.
- Freeze for 4 hours or overnight. Remove waxed paper. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cathedral Cookies
"This is a childhood favorite! I made it again using this recipe, and it was perfectly like the one I remember!"
"These cookies were really easy to make, taste really good, and will look great on my Christmas cookie tray when I make a second batch of them - I brought the first batch to a friend's holiday party last week and everyone loved them!"
"my mother used to make these when I was growing up now that I have the recipe I will be able to make them for myself. these were always the first one I ate."
"I wish Taste of Home would let me revise my previous rating! After letting these mellow for two days, they turned out to be something we really enjoyed. I would now rate these as FOUR STARS. **** It has since become a regular part of my Christmas Cookie Platter.I also would like to correct a typo in my original review (dated 12/14/2009):*I relied on my own experience and melted the CHOCOLATE CHIPS gently in the microwave, then added shortening instead of butter."