"My family owns a catfish processing plant," reports Mrs. Bill Saul of Macon, Mississippi. "This colorful, zippy main dish is a great favorite of ours.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cubed
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in
- butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, cayenne and salt; bring to a
- boil. Add catfish.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until fish flakes easily with a fork,
- about 10 minutes. Serve with hot rice and garnish with sliced green
- onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without rice and green onions; prepared with non-stick cooking spray instead of butter or margarine and without salt) equals 161 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium,