Recalls Sharon Stevens of Weirton, West Virginia, "When we visited my grandparents near the Ohio River, my grandmother always made these crisp fillets from Granddad's fresh catch."
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs until foamy. In another shallow bowl,
- combine the flour, cornmeal and seasonings. Dip fillets in eggs,
- then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1/4 in. of oil in a large skillet; fry fish over medium-high
- heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a
- fork. Yield: 5 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.