Catfish Cakes Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds catfish fillets
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large potato, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups finely crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Canola oil
- Tartar sauce, optional
- 1. Poach or bake catfish fillets until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain and refrigerate. Flake cooled fish into a large bowl. Add the eggs, potato, onion, parsley, pepper sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and basil and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- 2. Place cracker crumbs in a shallow bowl. Coat patties in cracker crumbs. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook catfish cakes in oil in batches on each side or until golden brown. Serve with tartar sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 296 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein .
Reviews for Catfish Cakes
"I have made this several times. It is the only fish recipe I have found that I actually like! (I don't normally like fish)"
"I used catfish nuggets. Used Dixie Fry fish mix w/ the basil added instead of cracker crumbs. Don't leave out the basil! We use Dixie Fry mixes for everything we fry."
"I made this recipe with left-over baked potatoes and salmon. It was absolutely delicious! What a wonderful way to use up left-overs, Yum-yum!"
"Gotta tell you, I was doubtful about the basil in the mix...but OMG! these fishcakes are so good. I didn't have butter-flavored crackers, so used breadcrumbs to coat the fish cakes and added a pat of butter to the oil in the pan when browning and spritzed with a squeeze of lemon before eating. This recipe is absolutely going into my files!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.