Catfish Cakes Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds catfish fillets
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large potato, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups finely crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Canola oil
- Tartar sauce, optional
- 1. Poach or bake catfish fillets until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain and refrigerate. Flake cooled fish into a large bowl. Add the eggs, potato, onion, parsley, pepper sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and basil and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- 2. Place cracker crumbs in a shallow bowl. Coat patties in cracker crumbs. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook catfish cakes in oil in batches on each side or until golden brown. Serve with tartar sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 296 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Catfish Cakes
"I have made this several times. It is the only fish recipe I have found that I actually like! (I don't normally like fish)"
"I used catfish nuggets. Used Dixie Fry fish mix w/ the basil added instead of cracker crumbs. Don't leave out the basil! We use Dixie Fry mixes for everything we fry."
"I made this recipe with left-over baked potatoes and salmon. It was absolutely delicious! What a wonderful way to use up left-overs, Yum-yum!"
"Gotta tell you, I was doubtful about the basil in the mix...but OMG! these fishcakes are so good. I didn't have butter-flavored crackers, so used breadcrumbs to coat the fish cakes and added a pat of butter to the oil in the pan when browning and spritzed with a squeeze of lemon before eating. This recipe is absolutely going into my files!"