This cute, colorful catepillar is easy to make with a boxed cake mix and prepared frosting. To save a step, tint the frosting and omit the coconut. —Lee Dean, Boaz, Alabama
8-10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 small purple gumdrops
- 1 small red gumdrop
- 2 small orange gumdrops
- 2 pretzel sticks
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill a greased
- 8-oz. custard cup three-fourths full. Pour remaining batter into a
- greased 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake the custard cup at 350° for 20-25 minutes and the tube cake
- for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes to wire
- racks to cool completely.
- Cut large cake in half widthwise. To form caterpillar, place one half
- on a 15-in. x 10-in. covered board. Place the remaining portion next
- to the first to form an "S." With a serrated knife, level top and
- bottom of small cake; place on one end of caterpillar for head.
- Frost the small cake with vanilla frosting; gently press 1/4 cup
- coconut into frosting. Add purple gumdrops for eyes. For mouth,
- flatten red gumdrop between waxed paper with a rolling pin; place