This cute, colorful catepillar is easy to make with a boxed cake mix and prepared frosting. To save a step, tint the frosting and omit the coconut. —Lee Dean, Boaz, Alabama
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 small purple gumdrops
- 1 small red gumdrop
- 2 small orange gumdrops
- 2 pretzel sticks
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill a greased 8-oz. custard cup three-fourths full. Pour remaining batter into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake the custard cup at 350° for 20-25 minutes and the tube cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut large cake in half widthwise. To form caterpillar, place one half on a 15-in. x 10-in. covered board. Place the remaining portion next to the first to form an "S." With a serrated knife, level top and bottom of small cake; place on one end of caterpillar for head.
- Frost the small cake with vanilla frosting; gently press 1/4 cup coconut into frosting. Add purple gumdrops for eyes. For mouth, flatten red gumdrop between waxed paper with a rolling pin; place below eyes. For antennae, press orange gumdrops onto pretzels; insert into head.
- Place 3/4 cup coconut in each of three small resealable plastic bags. Tint one orange with yellow and red food coloring; tint one green and one yellow. Frost the caterpillar with remaining vanilla frosting. Press alternate colors of coconut into frosting. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Caterpillar Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p13
Reviews for Caterpillar Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2016
"Nice cake for kids"
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2013
"Good Cake for the kids :)"
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2013
"This was great and a fun cake for the kids."
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2013 Edited Jun. 16, 2015
"Awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)"
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2013
"So cute and fun to assemble."