Caterpillar Cake Recipe
This cute, colorful catepillar is easy to make with a boxed cake mix and prepared frosting. To save a step, tint the frosting and omit the coconut. —Lee Dean, Boaz, Alabama
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 small purple gumdrops
- 1 small red gumdrop
- 2 small orange gumdrops
- 2 pretzel sticks
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill a greased 8-oz. custard cup three-fourths full. Pour remaining batter into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake the custard cup at 350° for 20-25 minutes and the tube cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut large cake in half widthwise. To form caterpillar, place one half on a 15-in. x 10-in. covered board. Place the remaining portion next to the first to form an "S." With a serrated knife, level top and bottom of small cake; place on one end of caterpillar for head.
- Frost the small cake with vanilla frosting; gently press 1/4 cup coconut into frosting. Add purple gumdrops for eyes. For mouth, flatten red gumdrop between waxed paper with a rolling pin; place below eyes. For antennae, press orange gumdrops onto pretzels; insert into head.
- Place 3/4 cup coconut each in three small resealable plastic bags. Tint one orange with yellow and red food coloring; tint one green and one yellow. Frost the caterpillar with remaining vanilla frosting. Press alternate colors of coconut into frosting. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Caterpillar Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p13
Reviews for Caterpillar Cake(7)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2013
Good Cake for the kids :)
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2013
This was great and a fun cake for the kids.
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2013 Edited Nov. 7, 2013
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2013
So cute and fun to assemble.
Reviewed Mar. 14, 2013