Crisp peppers, chunks of ham and kidney beans make this one of the heartiest rice salads you'll ever sample. Sharon McClatchey from Muskogee, Oklahoma tops off the colorful combination with a bottle of Catalina dressing that she adds zip to with cayenne pepper.
- 2-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup each chopped sweet red, green and yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Catalina salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a bowl, combine the rice, beans, ham, peppers and onion. Combine the salad dressing and cayenne; pour over rice mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Catalina Rice Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p35
Reviews for Catalina Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2009
"I made this without the ham for the VEGAN members in my family and they loved it. They now even make it for themselves."