- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 individual cream-filled sponge cakes
- 3 brown milk chocolate M&M's
- 2 pieces shoestring black licorice, about 2 inches long
- 1 large pink candy heart
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Grease and flour a 3-cup and 2-qt. ovenproof bowls. Pour 1 cup of batter into the 3-cup bowl and remaining batter into the 2-qt. bowl.
- Bake small cake at 350° for 30-35 minutes and large cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool each cake for 10 minutes before removing from bowl to wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add marshmallow creme and almond extract; beat until smooth. Beat in whipped topping. Set aside 1/2 cup. In a small bowl, beat melted chocolate and remaining whipped topping mixture until smooth; set aside.
- Place cakes domed side up on an 18-in. x 12-in. covered board. Cut one creamed-filled sponge cake in half widthwise; place halves in front of large cake for front paws. Cut ends off another sponge cake; trim ends to form triangles. Set triangles aside for ears.
- Arrange the remaining sponge cakes behind large cake to form the tail. Frost cat's face and ears with reserved white frosting. Frost rest of cat with chocolate frosting. Place the ears on head. Arrange M&M's, licorice and candy heart to form the face. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Cat Cake
Sort By :
"This was my first attempt at ever making a shaped cake. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow, and it turned out beautifully. I omitted the chocolate from the frosting since she wanted a strawberry cake instead of yellow, and it was heavenly. Light and fluffy icing was wonderful!"