Cassoulet for the Gang Recipe
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth, divided
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute pork and kielbasa in oil until lightly browned; drain. Add carrots and onion; saute 4 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Place one can of beans in a food processor; add 1/4 cup wine or broth. Cover and process until pureed. Stir into meat mixture. Stir in the remaining beans and wine or broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 316 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 959 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.