I got this recipe from my sister...Our families think it's very tasty. Using prepared spaghetti sauce saves the time-consuming step of making your own sauce. --Nancy Schmidt, Delhi, California
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, water and seasonings.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes and meat mixture; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Casserole Italiano in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p170
Reviews for Casserole Italiano
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2015
"needed more seasonings. will spice it up next time"