Cashew Rice Pilaf
This hearty dish will add pizzazz to your plate, thanks to its beautiful blend of flavors and colors. Tina Coburn of Tucson, Arizona points out that she makes the pilaf regularly for her family, "I often serve it as a main course with salad and bread," she shares.
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the long grain rice, onion, carrots and
- raisins in butter until onion is tender. Add the broth and onion
- salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas, wild
- rice and cashews; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions if
- desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 287 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.