Cashew Nut Crunch Recipe
This is a holiday favorite for gift giving. I coarsely chop some of the candy to sprinkle over ice cream. The remained I break into pieces and dip in melted chocolate to serve alongside. —Rose Randall, Derry, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:25 servings
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 pound butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate or vanilla or white chips, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Grease two baking sheets using 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and remaining butter. Cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in the cashews. Quickly pour onto prepared pans. Spread with a buttered metal spatula. Cool on wire racks.
- 2. Coarsely chop half of the candy and store in an airtight container. Use as an ice cream topping. Break remaining candy into pieces. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a heavy saucepan or microwave at 70% power; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each candy piece into melted chips. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet to dry. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
1 serving (1 ounce) equals 281 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC