Cashew Chicken for Four Recipe
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh snow peas
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, toasted
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sherry or broth and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth. Stir in the sugar, vinegar, hoisin sauce, ginger, salt, and remaining soy sauce and sesame oil; set aside.
- 3. Drain chicken and discard marinade. In a large nonstick wok or skillet, stir-fry chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 4. In the same pan, stir-fry peas and carrots in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add water chestnuts.
- 5. Return chicken to the pan. Stir sauce mixture and stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Sprinkle with cashews. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 301 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Cashew Chicken for Four
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.