Cashew Chicken Casserole Recipe
"I especially like this dish because I can get it ready the day before I need it," comments Julie Ridlon of Solway, Minnesota. It's easy to whip up with common pantry items, including macaroni, canned soup and saltine crackers.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines (about 20 crackers)
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- 1. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. In a large bowl, combine the soups, milk and broth. Pour over water chestnuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Toss butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole. Top with cashews. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 620 calories, 34 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1,515 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC