Cashew Candy Crunch
"I started making brittle in the mid 1970s and have been using this recipe for about 25 years. During the winter of 2005, I made over 170 pounds of this brittle to give to my customers."
Jim Merchant, Vinton, Iowa
36 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups unsalted cashew halves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a
- large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a
- boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; cut remaining butter into cubes and carefully stir into
- syrup. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 280°
- (soft-crack stage). Add nuts; cook and stir until candy thermometer
- reads 295°.
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda. Immediately pour into
- prepared pan. Cool; break into pieces. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 2-1/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 ounce equals 171 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.