"Salted nut rolls were my mother's favorite candy bar, so I always think of her when I make these sweet snacks," shares Darlene Markel of Sublimity, Oregon. "Youngsters can help knead and shape the marshmallow mixture and later roll the treats in nuts after they have been dipped in caramel."
21 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups chopped salt cashews
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients; knead until
- smooth(mixture will be dry). Shape into eight rolls 5 in long x 1/2
- in. in diameter (do not butter hands before shaping the mixture).
- Wrap in waxed paper and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. Place
- caramels in a shallow microwave-safe dish; microwave, uncovered, on
- high until melted. Add water; stir until smooth. Carefully dip the
- frozen rolls into the caramel mixture, then roll in cashews. Wrap in
- waxed paper and refrigerate 1 hour. Cut into 1/3-in. slices.
- Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 308 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.