This recipe from a junior high home economics class was brought home by my sister, Laurie. My family liked it so much that it became a part of our Christmas dinner tradition.
8 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots; cover
- and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour, bouillon, salt and pepper until blended;
- gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Drain carrots; stir into sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 129 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 416 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.