Carrots in Almond Sauce
Here's an easy way to add elegance and flavor to a plain vegetable. The combination of tender carrots and crunchy nuts is different and delightful. Plus, the touch of dill lends just the right "zip".
-Carol Anderson, Salt Lake City, Utah
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of water until
- crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onions in butter until tender. Combine
- cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into onions. Add bouillon,
- dill and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for
- 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in almonds. Pour over
- carrots; stir to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 127 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.