Carrots Au Gratin Recipe
I'm an onion lover, so I sometimes double the amount called for in this recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 5 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are almost tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in 3 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and parsley until cheese is melted. Drain carrots; add to sauce.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 266 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 608 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC