- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 5 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in 3 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese and parsley until cheese is melted. Drain carrots; add to sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Carrots Au Gratin
"Absolutely great recipe! So simple and tastes so good! I often change the type of cheese to what I have on hand and double the amount (you can never have too much cheese!). I've permanently exchanged the corn flakes (rarely have them on hand) with Panko bread crumbs. Going to make it tonight and try using canned carrots for the first time."
"Husband and I both loved this dish. When camping in the motorhome, I cook the carrots in a mircrwave cooking bag and heat the other ingredients in a throw away bowl in the microwave. This saves on alot of cleanup. Thanks for a great recipe."
"Great, easy recipe for a side dish that everyone will love!"