Carrots and Pineapple
This simple side dish has been a favorite with family and friends for years.Cora Christian, Church Hill, Tennessee
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place carrots in a
- steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and cinnamon. Add the brown sugar,
- butter and reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in the carrots and pineapple; heat
- through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 251 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.