Carrots and Pearl Onions Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- 2. In the same pan, cook onions in butter and 3/4 teaspoon sugar over medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 3. Add the carrots, bacon, broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 4. Uncover; return to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.