VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In the same pan, cook onions in butter and 3/4 teaspoon sugar over medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, bacon, broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Uncover; return to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Carrots and Pearl Onions in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p70
Reviews forCarrots and Pearl Onions
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2012