Carrots and Onions
"I buy a box of Vidalia onions every year, and this is one of my favorite ways to fix them," notes Norma Essex of Porthill, Idaho. Rosemary and thyme season the veggies in the quick-to-fix side dish that's great for a holiday meal or every day.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Cut onion slices in half. Place onion and carrots in a steamer
- basket. Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme. Place in a saucepan over 1
- in. of water; bring to a boil.
- Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove to a
- serving bowl. Toss with the parsley, butter, salt and pepper. Yield:
- 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 69 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.