Carrot Zucchini Fritters Recipe
I'm always looking for flavorful recipes that increase my veggie intake without being saturated in cheese or cream sauces. This one fills the bill. The crispy fritters are delicious and fun to eat with or without the dipping sauces. -Laura Mize Waco, Kentucky
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sour cream, divided
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1. In a blender, place 2/3 cup sour cream, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish sauce and remaining sour cream. Cover and refrigerate for both sauces.
- 2. Place onion and butter in a microwave-safe dish. Cover; microwave on high until onion is tender. Add the egg, zucchini and carrot. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, salt and pepper; stir in vegetable mixture just until combined.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen fritters, 2/3 cup basil sauce and 1-1/2 cups horseradish sauce.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC