Carrot Spice Cake
I've found that no one can resist sampling a generous slice of this spice cake. Grated carrots add color, texture and nutrition.Karen Brodeen, Cook, Minnesota
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, corn syrup, milk and egg whites. Combine
- dry ingredients; add to batter. Beat well. Pat carrots dry with
- paper towels; stir into the batter.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray and
- floured. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; invert
- onto a wire rack. Cool completely. Lightly dust with confectioners'
- sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 186 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 151 mg sodium,