Carrot-Spice Cake with Caramel Frosting Recipe
“This cake starts with a mix, but it’s loaded with extras to give it that ‘from-scratch’ flavor. It’s so moist and delicious—everyone asks for the recipe!” Nora Fitzgerald - Sevierville, TN
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, sour cream and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in the carrots, pineapple, coconut, pecans and raisins just until blended. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, ice cream topping and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 846 calories, 40 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium, 118 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC