Carrot Raisin Couscous Recipe
- 1/3 cup port wine or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat wine until hot. In a small bowl, soak raisins in wine for 5 minutes. Drain raisins, reserving wine.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Stir in couscous. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Stir in the broth, raisins and half of the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- 3. In a small skillet, saute carrots in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Combine the sugar, molasses, reserved wine and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir into carrots; heat through.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine couscous mixture and carrots; toss to combine. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 188 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.