Carrot Raisin Bread
"Grated carrot adds color and interest to this wheat bread that's good when spread with butter and served with a hearty soup," writes Dolores Tommer of Frankfort, Kansas. "Raisins and nuts give extra flavor and texture."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose
- crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread
- machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to
- 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before final
- kneading (you machine may audibly signal this), add walnuts and
- raisins. Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 134 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.