Carrots pair beautifully with anything from roasted meat to grilled fish. Cook the carrots fully to ensure a velvety smooth puree. —Gina Myers, Spokane, Washington
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds carrots, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and shallots;
- cook and stir 12-15 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Stir
- in garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Add water to cover
- carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25
- minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Drain; cool slightly. Place carrot mixture, salt and pepper in a food
- processor; process until smooth. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 172 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 3 g protein.