Carrot Potato Casserole
I've been relying on this recipe for more than 30 years. That's a true testament to how delicious it is!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups grated peeled uncooked potatoes
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the
- flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce
- heat; add 1/2 cup cheese, stirring until melted. Add the potatoes,
- carrots and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake,
- uncovered, for 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 198 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 468 mg sodium,