- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups grated peeled uncooked potatoes
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add 1/2 cup cheese, stirring until melted. Add the potatoes, carrots and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Potato Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p127
Reviews for Carrot Potato Casserole(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2010
Very good. I didn't shred, but chopped the potatoes and carrots into small pieces instead. I also added some celery and added all the cheese to the sauce instead of putting half on top. Baked for 1 1/2 hours.