Carrot-Pineapple Gelatin Salad
"My grandma frequently fixed the salad when she was asked to bring a dish to a family gathering," writes Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "Now I make it often since it's a favorite of our kids. It's a fun way for them to get a fruit and vegetable."
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice; set pineapple and juice
- aside. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold
- water, vinegar, salt and reserved juice. Chill until partially
- thickened, about 45 minutes. Stir in carrots and reserved pineapple.
- Pour into a 3-cup mold coated with cooking spray. Chill until firm.
- Unmold to serve. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 59 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.