Carrot Pepper Skillet Recipe
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and membranes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, tomato juice, 1/4 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Spoon into peppers. Place around the edge of a 10-in. skillet.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the carrots, butter, ginger, nutmeg and remaining salt and sugar. Place in the center of the skillet. Pour remaining water around peppers; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drizzle corn syrup over the carrots. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium tomato juice, salt-free seasoning and reduced-fat margarine) equals 297 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 meat, 1 vegetable.