You can prepare stuffed peppers on the stovetop, cooked alongside nicely seasoned carrots, with this creative recipe shared by Esther Shank. "This dish is attractive, delicious and goes together in a hurry," promises the Harrisonburg, Virginia cook.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and membranes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, tomato juice, 1/4 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Spoon into peppers. Place around the edge of a 10-in. skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, butter, ginger, nutmeg and remaining salt and sugar. Place in the center of the skillet. Pour remaining water around peppers; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drizzle corn syrup over the carrots. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Pepper Skillet in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p22
Reviews for Carrot Pepper Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review