Carrot Parsnip Puree
The home economists in our Test Kitchen came up with this good-tasting, good-for-you side dish that’s a nice change from mashed potatoes. The natural sweetness of the parsnips and carrots is complemented by hint of ground nutmeg. Don’t want to drag out your food processor? Mash the cooked vegetables with a potato masher instead.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups sliced peeled parsnips
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place 2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add parsnips;
- cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place the vegetables in a food processor; add butter, nutmeg, salt
- and pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving
- bowl. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 93 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.