When I need a great accompaniment for soup, stew or a casserole, I reach for this recipe. The carrot gives the muffins a nice texture.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a blender or
- food processor, combine remaining ingredients; cover and process
- until carrots are finely chopped. Pour carrot mixture over dry
- ingredients; stir just until combined.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for
- 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: One muffin (prepared with fat-free milk) equals 157 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.