We love to take slices of this tasty loaf to the field during harvest season---I either bake it or cook it up quickly in the microwave---it's a real blessing during our busiest time of year.—Irene Knodel, Golden Prairie, Saskatchewan
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 envelope (1 ounce) onion soup mix
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Combine eggs, milk, soup mix, bread crumbs and carrots. Add beef and pork; mix well. Shape mixture into a circle with a 9-in. diameter; form a 3-in. hole in the center of the circle. Place in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spread over meat. Bake 10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
- MICROWAVE METHOD: Prepare and shape loaf as above. Place on a microwave-proof platter. Cover with waxed paper. Microwave on high for 16-18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, giving the dish a quarter turn every 3 minutes. Drain. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a custard cup, combine glaze ingredients. Spread half the glaze over meat loaf. Return to microwave on medium for 1 minute; remove. Cover remaining glaze with waxed paper and heat in microwave on medium for 1 minute. Serve glaze in center of meat loaf. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef 1993, p32
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Carrot Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review