Carrot Lentil Casserole Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the onion, carrots, lentils, rice, cheese, green pepper and seasonings. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until the liquid is absorbed and lentils and rice are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Carrot Lentil Casserole
"My whole family enjoyed this! I left out the cheese and substituted salsa that I had on hand for the diced tomatoes. It had an excellent flavor. I like to eat lentils with tortilla chips so I scooped up the casserole with the chips. A delicious healthy (and pretty inexpensive) meal!"
"Very Good! Think I'll omit the cheese next time - don't think the dish needs it."
"Made this without the cheese. Took 2.5 hours!!!! to cook in a calibrated oven. Hubby would only eat it smothered in ketchup. Hope you like it more than we did."
"Really good! This is one delicious veggie dish that requires very little preparation. I bought a bag of shredded carrots which even made the dish quicker.PLUS, everyone who walked into my house said Ohh whatever you are making for dinner smells so good!"
"This was fanstastic. Very flavorful for such a light dish. HIGHLY recommended."