Carrot Lentil Casserole
"My husband loves this hearty meatless casserole, especially on a chilly winter evening," says Stacey Krawczyk of Champaign, Illinois. "It's wonderful served with crusty bread and a green salad."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the onion,
- carrots, lentils, rice, cheese, green pepper and seasonings. Stir in
- broth and tomatoes. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4
- hours or until the liquid is absorbed and lentils and rice are
- tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.