Carrot Leek Soup Recipe
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat margarine
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute leek in margarine until tender. Add carrots, potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon to a blender or food processor. Add enough cooking liquid to cover; blend until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in milk and pepper; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
One 1-cup serving equals 89 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.