- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oats, carrots, and pecans.
- To freeze cookie dough, drop desired amount of dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets; freeze until firm. Transfer frozen cookie dough balls into a resealable plastic freezer bag. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Drop remaining cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To use frozen cookie dough: Place frozen dough balls 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7 dozen.
Reviews for Carrot Cookie Bites
"I added raisins. I felt they were good and will try again but will add more carrots, spices and nuts"
"These cookies were very dry and tasteless. I will not be making them again. I only made 1 batch and had to toss the rest out! Ick!"
"Am I missing something in this recipe? I made them and had to toss the first baked batch. Did this recipe call for SHORTENING or cooking oil? I used shortening (Crisco) and made the cookies as instructed. My 2nd batch, I had to add OIL, more brown sugar and more seasonings. They were pretty tasteless and unless I read the recipe wrong, will not try these again."
"These are so good!! I replaced the nuts for equal amount of raisins and they turned out great. I had an idea of drizzling them with cream cheese glaze, but then I wondered why should I mess with a good thing?"
"Great recipe! I would make small changes for my own personal tastes, but I think we all do that with recipes lol Thank you for posting it!! This one is going in the recipe holder! :)"
"I am allergic to pecans, so I replaced them with chopped raisins, and then topped the whole thing with cream cheese frosting (I cheated and used canned frosting). They were the hit of the bake sale!"
"Carrot cookie bites are really fun to make and so very easy. My family absolutely loves them and we make them every chance we get, which is very often. They're delicious and just plain fun to eat. This recipe is a keeper, for sure."