Carrot Coin Casserole with Cheddar Recipe
Linda Phillippi of Ronan, Montana has been making this comforting casserole for three decades. She's enhanced the recipe over the years by adding nutmeg and trying different vegetables.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 slices onion, separated into rings
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Place carrots and 1-in. of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Add onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain. Add peas and toss. In a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the vegetables, all of the cheese and remaining vegetables.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables.
- In a skillet, toast cracker crumbs in remaining butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Coin Casserole in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p56
Reviews for Carrot Coin Casserole with Cheddar(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >