VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 slices onion, separated into rings
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Place carrots and 1-in. of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Add onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain. Add peas and toss. In a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the vegetables, all of the cheese and remaining vegetables.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables.
- In a skillet, toast cracker crumbs in remaining butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Coin Casserole in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p56