When I started using this comforting casserole recipe 25 years ago, it was just a creamed vegetable dish. Over time, I've enhanced it by trying different vegetables and adding nutmeg. I carry the recipe when I'm serving this, since someone always asks for it. -Linda Phillippi, Ronan, Montana
- 12 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- Place carrots and small amount of water in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Add onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Drain. Add peas and toss.
- Place 4 cups in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining vegetables. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over the vegetables.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, combine cracker crumbs and remaining butter; cook and stir over medium heat until toasted. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Coin Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p33
Reviews for Carrot Coin Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review